Monday, December 6, 2010

Just your average Stillwater stabbing

So Tim and I use to have this ritual when he was smoking.  We would get all of our stuff done at the coffee shop and then go out for his morning cigarette.  It was super important.... we would set the alarm clock early just for this 'morning moment' as I would call it... Its the time between getting my own coffee consumed and being nice to people in the morning.  I would make the scones, make my espresso drink, lock up the shop, then sit outside and just wake up.  People may think I'm a morning person, but if I could, I would sleep in until at least 9 am.  Anyway, on this particular day, I felt like I was thrown into a movie.

Tim and I just sat down on the front steps of our building, the main street side, and we started going over all of the things we needed to do for the day.  On a normal day, Tim went through about two cigarettes and I would finish an entire cup of coffee out there.  Like I said, I need caffeine just like everyone else so I can actually speak in the morning and not chew people's heads off.  All of a sudden, we hear someone yelling from the
Main street
stairs next to Luna Rossa.  It took a second to locate the person connected to this voice, but all of a sudden he came into view.  What came out of his mouth was so out of the ordinary for Stillwater that it took a minute for Tim and I to register what he was saying. 

'The Guy' as we named him was pretty disheveled, but not out of the norm around town lately.  He came running up to us yelling that he had been stabbed...no shit, you read that right, he had been stabbed.  At this point, Tim goes into his protective mode and shoves me behind him.  First thing in the morning is not exactly the time to be fully aware of some psycho guy running down the road yelling for help.  I mean, what do you do?  Do you go on the defensive?  Do you reach in your pocket and call the police?  Do you check him out?  Seriously, unless your around it all of the time, your guard is up pretty high.  What seemed like Superman fast, the guy ran towards us lifting up his shirt and asking us if we thought he was going to live or if he should go to the hospital?  Um excuse me?  I don't know, when I get stabbed, I usually wait around a bit to see if I'll bleed out or not.  He was for real though, right on his love handle on the right side of his body, there was a hole where he was stabbed.  I have to say, its like watching a train wreck...You don't really want to see it, but when you do, you can't take your eyes off it.

When we told him we weren't doctors and he should seriously go to the ER, he said he didn't want to.  He just wanted us to tell him if he was still bleeding or not.  He proceeded in telling us he was sleeping in a cave with a few friends and one of them stole his blanket.  When he tried to get it back, his friend reached over and stabbed him.  What a good friend right?  That's what I do every time Tim reaches over for extra blankets.  I pull out my Swiss army knife and show him who's boss...

I wanted to tell him he should ease up on the crack pipe, but Tim and I were still pretty nervous about what was going on with this guy.  After looking at his back and seeing that the bleeding had stopped, he asked if he could use our restroom to clean up.  As much as I don't like blood around me, it wasn't that bad and I wasn't exactly going to make this guy sit outside after he just got stabbed.  So we all went inside and Tim and I decided we should really call the police.  I told Tim to go see if he was in the bathroom and I would call it in.  Tim went out into the hall to check him out, but he disappeared.  He was only out of our sight for maybe 60 seconds, but he was gone.  Tim and I both looked at each other and thought...have we had enough coffee yet?  Was that just a dream?  I do find I am a great Barista, but I really think stabbings are out of my league...just sayin'. 

2 comments:

  1. Good Job Tim! Keeping Megan safe is job #1. I am surprised that this happened in CalmH2O though.

    ReplyDelete